Ryan’s parents visited last weekend and we had the best time hanging out with them & introducing them to Basil. We wanted to get out of the city, so we decided to go to Athens- a great choice for a one-day getaway. Athens is home to University of Georgia and is less than 90 minutes from the city. It has amazing restaurants, bars, shops, and a few of our favorite Georgia breweries, too! Here are my favorite must-stops and things to do when spending the day.
- Athens is a college town, so check the UGA calendar to avoid game days and the crowds. My favorite time to go is in the summer for their college ‘off’ season- and go for Ath Fest in June!
- If you do visit when classes are in session, visit the breweries and bars before 2 PM to avoid the college crowds.
- The town is pretty dog friendly, so bring your pup! The campus is great for getting their energy out with a quiet walk , and the breweries are always a great spot for pups. For more ideas of places to bring your puppy- read my blog post on socializing your pup in Atlanta here.
Where to Go & Shop
- Walk around the UGA campus is always fun- I love exploring the sidewalks of college campuses whenever we end up at one! We walked around campus right after we arrived to stretch Basil’s legs so he would be calmer during lunch.
- Stroll down Clayton Street for the ‘main drag’ of Athens and to hit all the shops. Read on for my favorite spots!
- Dress Up: Dress up is a chain, but their Athens location never misses for great deals and dresses because it caters to the college crowd. This location is one of my favorites in the state- I scored a dress for $30 there this weekend!
- Cheeky Peach: Another great clothes store downtown- super cute items for decent prices.
- Heery’s Too! This is my favorite spot for unique home decor and gifts for others.
Where to Go Out for a Drink
- Creature Comforts Brewing: Creature Comforts is my favorite brewery because their Tritonia is the only beer I like! They have food trucks on the weekend and a ton of amazing seltzer selections, too.
- Terrapin Beer Co: Terrapin Beer is also amazing- they are actually celebrating their 21st birthday year! Ryan loves their IPAs and they have a great outdoor space.
I’ve never been to the below but these have been recommended to me as great local spots from a friend that lives in Athens:
- Normal Bar
- Old Pal
- The Lark Wine Bar
Restaurants, Sweets, & Snacks
- Condor Chocolates: I love stopping in for milkshakes and truffles- they will give dogs pup cups, too!
- Independent baking company for pastries: this is another spot recommended to me by a local for great treats.
Our Favorite Restaurants in Athens:
- Last Resort Grill: This is our favorite spot with an amazing patio (they even have igloos in the winter) and outdoor bar. They have a great southern brunch menu and incredible desserts.
- Thai Spoon: We stumbled upon Thai Spoon when we went down for Ath Fest last year and I told Ryan I needed a break from fried foods. It’s inexpensive, fresh, and so good when you want a quick & easy break from burgers and fries.
A few Other Restaurant Recs:
These other restaurants are so delicious and well known in Athens!
- Dinner Party
- ZZ & Simone’s
- The National