When I first moved to Atlanta, one of the first things I did was hop right downtown and go to Centennial Olympic Park! This list below has all of the best spots to see when you’ve never been to Atlanta- I’d recommend starting with this list to see the iconic “touristy” items, and then heading over to my larger Atlanta bucket list to explore the rest of the city!
The funny thing about the classic “toursity things to do in Atlanta” is that most people never go back downtown after seeing everything once. This list is a little different than those usual recommendations- a few of those big-ticket items like the World of Coca-Cola are listed here, but I’ve also included places that I enjoy going back to regularly, like the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and the Georgia Aquarium. The list below is perfect if you’ve never been to Atlanta for the first time, or even if you live here and have family in town or want to learn more about the history and culture that Atlanta has to offer.
Top 10 Touristy Things to do in Atlanta
Click on the links below to read my full blog posts about each spot!
1. Centennial Olympic Park
2. See the Georgia State Capitol and go to the Georgia Capitol Museum
3. MLK, Jr. House & Center for Civil and Human Rights
4. Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum
7. Georiga Aquarium FYI- it’s free for Georgia residents on your birthday!
9. Zoo Atlanta
10. Margaret Mitchell house & Swan House I love to go back here for a fancy lunch at the Coach House!
If you get in the museum spirit, the following museums are worth a look!
- Children’s Museum
- High Museum of Art
- The Fernbank Museum