There is nothing better than tomatoes and fresh basil- I love them together and this recipe is a great way to turn them into an easy dinner! It’s high in protein, and a lighter take on the traditional chicken parmesan. The light flavor of garlic combined with the tomatoes and basil is delicious. I usually pair this chicken and sauce with pasta or ceasar salad (or both!).
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half to make it thinner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
For the sauce:
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- ½ tablespoon of garlic
- About 4 tablespoons cup olive oil
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Fresh basil to taste, julienned
Ryan and I usually work together to prepare the chicken and sauce- I prep the ingredients for the sauce while he dredges and coats the chicken, and both cook for about the same time. If you’re cooking alone, I recommend preparing the sauce first on lower heat and letting it cook longer, so you can be sure the chicken is hot when you eat it.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half to make them thinner, and lightly spray a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning. Put the olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the olive oil, then coat it in the bread crumb mixture. Place them on the cookie sheet.
- Lightly spray them with olive oil spray and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Check the chicken after 10 minutes- cooking time will vary depending on the cut of the chicken. About 2 minutes before they are finished, pull them out and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and finish cooking.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Cut the grape tomatoes into quarters, and put them in a large frying pan on medium heat for 6 minutes or so, until the tomatoes are blistered. Sprinkle them with the Pink Himalayan salt and about half the basil.
- When the tomatoes are blistered, reduce the heat to simmer and put the garlic and rest of the basil in. Then, put it in the rest of the basil.
- Toss the sauce on the chicken and serve. Yum!
What is your favorite easy dinner?